5 Things Every Home Owner Should Do Before The End of Summer
5 Things Every Home Owner Should Do Before The End Of Summer!
As Summer is winding down I’m sure that some deferred maintenance is the last thing on your mind. However, it is important to not forget about some minor maintenance of your home before the weather changes. Summer is filled with beach days, pool parties, BBQ’s, and Ice Cream. However, if you don’t stay on top of the little things now they can become big problems in the fall and winter. As we Here are a few important household items you should consider conquering before the weather changes.
- Clean the Grill. Every year there are dozens of house fires caused by dirty grills. Debris left in the bottom of the grill can easily ignite. Not only can a dirty grill cause a fire but it can also cause your food to be unsafe to eat! You should plan on giving your grill a good cleaning every year and what better time then now. Giving your grill a good cleaning can make it look as good as new.
- Check the Smoke Detectors. When is the last time you checked your smoke detectors? Many home owners overlook this VERY important task. You should check your smoke detectors every year to help keep you and your family safe should a fire ever happen.
- Clean the Dryer Vent. According to the U.S. Fire Administration there are over 2,900 home clothes dryer fires each year totaling roughly $35 million dollars in property damages. You may not think that failing to clean or replace the dryer vent can do that much damage, but it can. It should go without saying that you should clean the vent every time you put clothes in the dryer. Even if you do, your dryer hose gets clogged and needs to be cleaned or replaced from time to time.
- Power Wash. A good power wash to the exterior of your home is like going through the car wash for your property. Simply hosing your siding or wood down doesn’t have the same effect as a power wash. A power wash can remove months of old dirt, grime, and debris. Even if you don’t own a power wash you can easily rent one at your closest home improvement store
- HVAC Maintenance. By the end of July, you are probably giving your HVAC a full workout. Using your central air is a great convenience, but it takes a toll on your HVAC. If you haven’t already, now is the time to perform a seasonal checkup on your HVAC unit. It may feel like summer is coming to a close but you will still use your AC for at least another few weeks.
These take minimal time to complete but the impact will be felt for months down the road.
Happy Summer Gang!
Kubis Realty Group